Thursday, March 5, 2015

I published a game on my phone!

Okay so I'm kinda mad at myself for not posting in February, I guess I've just been really busy. I got a lot of awesome, groundbreaking things planned for 2015 and I can't wait to reach a level of success. But I'm also mad for not realizing I should post this earlier but what ev...

I had a breakthrough in my game ABZ's. After this year's Global Game Jam, we we're all kinda sadden and some unmotivated. For me I almost killed myself (again) making a game on my own... Lol bad habit I guess. But realizing it'd be better and easier now than it's ever been for me to collab, I inquired feedback/assistance from some programming friends of mine. And I got some great feedback and offers for that game. BUT while I was in contact I decided to ask my buddy Scott to see if he could figure out what was wrong with my mobile version of ABZ's... When I released it, I just was glad to let it go so I could worry about other things on my plate. So I honestly didn't need the "I did it all by myself" hat anymore when moving it to mobile. I'm running out of time, and I tied myself to a lot more projects. SOOooo... Long story short, he cleaned up the code for me so I was able to export my first game on a mobile device!

It's something surreal having your game on your phone! Walking around bragging about it or making people to play it. It's much easier to get feedback and a playtester when you can just put it in their hands. So of course I took some pictures and spazzed out on facebook. Got a lot of support and people asking when can they download it. So like 2 weeks later, I fixed a lot of the size and GUI errors, some code glitches, and usability... catering it to a phone verses a PC. I announced I was looking for Android testers with my latest build, and I was completely overwhelmed. Friends from years ago, came out of nowhere asking to test it for me. Even though I was scared people wouldn't like it, it was too cool that friends, family, and strangers were wanting to play the game and walking around with it on there devices.

The experience was so cool and left me a little depressed because the ones that ran into the bugs, I felt responsible for ruining their experience. But I know, and they know that it was just a test and I'm glad I did it. I have a better direction I'm aiming for when I release it on the app store thanks to the feedback. And for the most part, the game worked really well, I just have to decide to spend some weeks looking up code and figuring out bugs, or to work on another game until I have someone to help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment